ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT OF LITERARY STUDIES
The department of Literary Studies wants to be a community of independently thinking colleagues prior to being a structure. The departmental structure is at the service of high-quality literary research and education and serves as a link with the faculty, the linguistics and literature study programme, the sections and the research groups. It provides support to individual researchers as well as to research groups, facilitates the collaboration between researchers and teaching staff, stimulates stays abroad and international collaboration.
The department wants to promote a culture of task oriented intellectual development and caring interaction between colleagues and students, while aiming for empowerment and open dialogue.
The department strives for diversity in its composition, its research and its teaching as well as for a horizontal corporate culture. It believes that collaborations transcend the boundaries of language, culture, discipline, personnel categories and policy levels.
- At least 70% of your assignment will be spent on academic research: you will prepare high-level publications, actively participate in (inter)national conferences, and assist in applying for research funding.
- If you are eligible, you will apply for an FWO postdoctoral fellowship.
- You will assist in the teaching activities of the Department of Literary Studies at the Bachelor’s or Master’s level.
- You will counsel Bachelor’s and/or Master’s students in their exercises, papers and dissertations.
- You will participate in the department’s internal and external academic services (e.g. coach junior researchers and students, perform organizational tasks).
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a doctoral degree in Literary Studies or a degree considered as equivalent. For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You have applied for an externally funded multiannual personal postdoctoral fellowship (e.g. FWO) in 2019 and/or 2020, or are eligible for the next round.
- You have conducted significant, high-level research within the field of literature.
- You can present relevant scientific publications in (inter)national peer-reviewed academic journals that are widely disseminated.
- You are profoundly interested in coaching students in an academic context.
- You have an excellent spoken and written command of the language(s) central to the literature(s) you specialize in;
- You are prepared to launch research initiatives that benefit several of the department’s sections;
- Employability across several sections would be an asset;
- You have good organizational, interpersonal and communicative skills and work well as a member of a team.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a three-year appointment, which will not be renewed. Attention: If you have been previously appointed as a post-doctoral assistant at a university within the Flemish Community, you cannot apply for this position.
- Your appointment will start on 1 January 2021 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP5. More information about our salary scales.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 35 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cv, including an overview of your study results, as well as an overview of your relevant scientific publications (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. (This can be requested via www.naricvlaanderen.be/en).
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Mara Santi (mara.santi@UGent.be, +32 09/264 40 43).